Sunday, August 12, 2012

Red China Hutch


I had my eye on this hutch for awhile and the shop that it was at marked it down to $100 so I jumped on it and said: SOLD! I knew that I didn't have the time to finish it then so it sat in the garage for awhile but since I  graduated I'm pushing forward on projects and this was one of them. I recommend if you paint ANYTHING red, PRIME PRIME PRIME...did I say PRIME?
The bottom I sprayed white primer and the top I sprayed gray primer...go with grey or just paint over the wood, the finish wasn't really great and I probably could have roughed up the surface with a sanding block and just painted it...I've always done this in the past and the finish is fine. I have been everyone's blog posts about painting furniture and they sand and sand and sand...I've had this tested and true method for years before painting furniture was 'in' and the paint last so I'm just gonna go with the flow from now on. 
The thing is the paint was semi-glass so I wanted to make sure it took well...I got it on sale at Home Depot already mixed, generally I would only use SATIN paint or even Flat but I'm working inside of a budget and I got this Martha Stewart brand gallon of paint for $11!

BEFORE


Primed and ready to go!  
                   


I spray painted the existing handles (I wanted to use different handles but this piece is old and I would have had to special order them because the spacing wasn't the same as modern handles), the cardboard is from the 24 pack water bottle packs--inventive, huh?
They turned out better than I thought, now I'm happy that didn't invest anymore money on the handles/knobs.
AFTER
Home in the breakfast room




No comments:

Post a Comment